There is a method named getActualText() in PDFBox, there are some listserv
postings (circa 2012) that indicate that the command-line PDFBox did not
support extraction of the ActualText contents at that time. That may have
changed. I'd like to know more.

Thank you Andrew for sending me scurrying to learn about ActualText. I
don't think we have any in any of the PDFs that I'm indexing, but I
wouldn't have known it existed without your posting.