On Sun, Feb 21, 2016 at 05:08:59PM -0500, Chris Moschini wrote:

> > 2) Google and friends are more than capable of handling redirects, even
> > when done badly.
>
> Google punishes redirects actually. #38 here:
>
> https://blog.kissmetrics.com/penalized-by-google/
>
> But you can find plenty more discussion of the redirect penalty. Not
> redirecting would mean duplicate content which is also punished - see #3.

Uh, no. You're misreading black-hat SEO advice. If the redirects in
question are from unaccented urls, which are never linked and exist
only for human typo purposes, to the properly-accented urls which are
actually linked, you won't ever see any kind of penalty.

If you are ever in the business of buying expired domains in order to
redirect traffic to webspammy affiliate links, then the kissmetrics
advice applies. That's not the sort of discussion I expected to have
on a library mailing list! :-) In truth, it's pretty hard to read SEO
advice on the web and understand the audience it's intended for.

> > 3) Who type un-shortened URLs any more?

Amen. Almost no one, so, it's fine to have your links have accents in
them.

-- greg