We are in the final stages of a complete redesign of our various digital library interfaces here at UNT, starting with The Portal to Texas History which has a six year old UI.

In doing this work I've been poking around at sites that I think are good examples of design for various reasons.

Here are a few in no specific order:

Calisphere
https://calisphere.org/

Digital Public Library of America
http://dp.la/

UCSD Digital Collections
http://library.ucsd.edu/dc

World Digital Library
https://www.wdl.org/en/

Internet Archive
https://archive.org/

DigitalNC (great interface on top of / beside ContentDM)
https://www.digitalnc.org/

Cooper Hewitt Collections (I like way metadata is presented in a way that isn't just a table with columns)
https://collection.cooperhewitt.org/

Carolina Digital Repository
https://cdr.lib.unc.edu/

North Carolina Digital Collections (great interface on top of / beside ContentDM)
http://digital.ncdcr.gov/

Europeana
http://www.europeana.eu/portal/

NCSU Libraries' Rare and Unique Digital Collections
https://d.lib.ncsu.edu/collections

Hull's Digital Repository
https://hydra.hull.ac.uk/

Those are just a few that I've tagged on Pinboard with DigitalLibraryDesign over the past few months.

As far as APIs and OAI-PMH I can give some examples that we use here at UNT.

Each of our collections and partners (as well as the repository as a whole) have a number of API's that we provide.

Here is an example Partner's page on The Portal to Texas History -

Abilene Public Library
http://texashistory.unt.edu/explore/partners/ABPL/

You will see a link on the right side to "API" that gets you to this page
http://texashistory.unt.edu/explore/partners/ABPL/api/ that explains the Partner specific apis, oai-pmh, sru endpoints that are offered.

This is the same case with our collections.  Here is an example for the UNT Digital Library

UNT Scholarly Works
http://digital.library.unt.edu/explore/collections/UNTSW/

and the API page
http://digital.library.unt.edu/explore/collections/UNTSW/api/

Not sure if that is helpful or just too many links.

Mark