1) With Unicode 8, sign writing and ASL,  the American / international
dichotomy is largely specious. Before that there were American indigenous
languages (Cheyenne etc.), but in my experience Americans don't usually
think of them them as American.

2) Google and friends are more than capable of handling redirects, even
when done badly.

3) Who type un-shortened URLs any more?

Cheers
Stuart