I think we're all perfectly fine with discussing this issue in the open, by
all means let's do that. The Code of Conduct on GitHub is a shining example
of this; the whole discussion is in the open and you can see the
conversations around particular passages unfold in the issues queue. The
problem is discussing specific concerns one has with *individuals.* That
does not feel appropriate for a public listserv, whether we're talking
about a victim, harasser, or potential duty officer.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but I do not see how the inability to voice
concerns about individuals stops us from having a general conversation on
how to be an inclusive and safe community. Much as we can "improve
everyone's skills", as preconferences of the past have done, while *also*
having designated duty officers with a specific responsibility. These are
not mutually exclusive and indeed are complimentary.

Best,
Eric