Some notes on participation/inclusion:

1) It can be difficult integrating yourself into a group where you may feel
like more or less of an outsider. An on-boarding experience of some sort -
even so simple as a web page for new users might help. The code4lib website
has little pieces of advice sprinkled around, two separate articles on the
wiki and then there is a pretty good document on how to make code4lib
inclusive. I would be happy to contribute to this effort, by the way.

2) The listserv front-end isn't new user friendly. It isn't overly complex
in order to get subscribed/started, but it definitely isn't intuitive
either.

You're also always going to have trouble with getting people to ask
questions, unless the concept of asking for help/guidance has been drilled
into them as not stupid, but constructive, for a very long time. I'm
talking life span.