We ordered about 600 Google Cardboards from a vendor in China (via ebay) at
a cost of ~$5 a pop and sold them to our members (a mix of public, school,
academic, & special)  for ~$3/pop to get them started and experimenting.
Some libraries are circing them, others are reserving them for specific
programming. The biggest piece of feedback that we're getting is that it
would be nice to have at least one or two dedicated devices in the space
for those who don't have phones or to provide quick demos to people who
might be interested. I've been looking at the feasibility of getting some
used Androids to wipe and preload with content.

Matthew Kopel
Research & Development Librarian
Central New York Library Resources Council (CLRC)
315-446-5446