On Thu, Mar 24, 2016, 11:09 Edward Iglesias <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I am in the midst of putting together a proposal to try out some VR gear in
> our library with the thought of eventually providing some student space to
> support it.  Any reccomendations on equipment or things to looks out for.
> So far we are looking at a couple of Oculus Rifts and perhaps an HTC Vive.

We have a game design specialization as part of our uni's Computer Science
program, and one of the tools students have been using is Unity to create
2D and 3D games. It so happens that there is a Unity SDK for Google
Cardboard, and is (reportedly) straightforward to integrate, but although
many people have heard of Cardboard, few have tried it despite its low cost.

So I picked up a few Cardboard-compatible Mattel ViewMasters at $30 each on
my professional development budget and added them to our tech lending
program just last week. The ViewMasters are plastic, so they're durable and
they can be cleaned (yay) and while I certainly hope their availability
helps the game design folks (the lead Prof is excited about it, for one), I
also hope that it serves as a gentle first step into the VR experience for
those who have a phone and have heard about this VR thing but don't have
the budget to try out a higher end experience.