All good questions, and most of which we are still in the process of
determining. The types of documents are generally project related
documentation (reports, plans, technical information, etc.), but those have
not yet been standardized. We are also in the process of doing business
analysis and user testing to determine the types and amount of metadata we
need. I just know for sure that we will need "subject" or "topic"
descriptors for all of the content. This has currently been narrowed down
to "Technical Area" (i.e. the actual health issue), target populations
(e.g. Newborns), and Expertise Areas (e.g. Monitoring and evaluation), but
all of that is subject to change based on research and user testing.

As for the process to assign terms and the structure of the terms, all of
that is up in the air right now as we have no systems (business or
technological) to implement any of this. In an ideal world flush with
resources, I would be able to get a metadata/vocabulary management tool, as
well as a robust document/content management system that can work together,
as well as integrate with our other data and business intelligence systems
that are being created. There are currently a number of evaluative/business
analysis workstreams moving forward to try and answer some of these
questions. In reality, there is a very good chance a lot of this will need
to be managed through excel and good governance.

The systems and vocabularies will also have to useful worldwide, as 80% of
our employees are located outside of the US (we aren't even talking about
multiple languages right now; that's a problem that is not even worth
considering at this point).

The suggestions everyone has given so far are very helpful and are putting
me on the right track. My hope is to be able to use one of them, or at
least part(s) of them to get to where we need to go.

Hopefully in a few months I will have a good update (and more questions) on
where we are!

Thanks,

Jacob