I am an IT professional who transferred from a 20 year corporate background
to the Academic Library Universe. I agree with nearly everything that
Deborah and Keith wrote.

My advice to those working with  a 'Library IT newbie person' is this:
Show the Library IT person  how the end user works with your software,
platforms, servers, databases, and other electronic resources.  Let the
Library IT person meet with individual librarians, staff, student workers,
and  faculty as much as possible.    That way the Library IT person can
understand the practical applications and workflow of all the systems in
the library, and understand the needs and frustrations of the end users.
    We cannot code in a vacuum.

Disclaimer of sorts: I am very grateful to be in an Academic Library
environment.  I will never look back.  When I see that anything I have
programmed or developed: tracks and proves benefits of library resource
usage; allows students to download textbooks freely; allows authors and
professors to publish their work via Creative Commons; allows better access
to knowledge in general - - that outweighs any frustration.

--
Leah M Root
Library Publishing/Web Services Developer