John,

I am glad to hear that the bagit library will be enhanced.

At Georgetown, I have integrated the the bagit java library into our
FileAnalyzer application.  We use this application for a number of
digitization related tasks.

https://github.com/Georgetown-University-Libraries/File-Analyzer/wiki/Bagit-automation

Our real use case is to prepare bags for the APTrust preservation
repository.

https://github.com/Georgetown-University-Libraries/File-Analyzer/wiki/Bagit-automation-for-Academic-Preservation-Trust-(APTrust)

APTrust requires bags to be packaged as TAR files.  This code creates some
APTrust tag files and then packages the bag as a tar file.  It would be
useful to have a tar option built into the bagit library.

Since we have a number of applications that are already in Java, we will
continue to work with the Java version of the library.

Terry

--
Terry Brady
Applications Programmer Analyst