On 2 March 2016, Jason Casden wrote:

> The advantages that we do have over many of these organizations include the
> opportunity to work directly with the users of your products, the ability to
> be more involved in broader systems analysis work, and the pursuit of a
> mission anchored in education and research.

And for all those reasons and more, don't put IT in a back room and leave it
there, unconnected to the rest of the library and institution.  How library IT
works with and is integrated into the rest of the library varies from place to
place, but if the developers and sys admins don't regularly see and work with
and around students and faculty, they'll be badly disconnected and could develop
a bunker mentality.

Aside from being important, in a university, being around the students and
faculty is really interesting, and it's fun.  It's like being in a little city
where everyone's studying and thinking, and every year a quarter of the
population moves out and a new quarter moves in.

Bill
--
William Denton ↔  Toronto, Canada ↔  https://www.miskatonic.org/