On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 10:29:20AM +0100, Eric Lease Morgan wrote:
> Alas, the Code4Lib mailing list software will most likely need to be
> migrated before the end of summer, and I’m proposing a number possible
> options for the lists continued existence.
>
> I have been managing the Code4Lib mailing list since its inception
> about twelve years ago. This work has been both a privilege and an
> honor.

Thank you!!!

> The list itself runs on top of the venerable LISTSERV application and
> is hosted by the University of Notre Dame. The list includes about
> 3,500 subscribers, and traffic very very rarely gets over fifty
> messages a day. But alas, University support for LISTSERV is going
> away, and I believe the University wants to migrate the whole kit and
> caboodle to Google Groups.

Egads!

> Personally, I don’t like the idea of Code4Lib moving to Google Groups.
> Google knows enough about me (us), and I don’t feel the need for them
> to know more. Sure, moving to Google Groups includes a large
> convenience factor, but it also means we have less control over our
> own computing environment, let alone our data.

Personally, I loathe and detest the Google Groups interface.  Mailing
lists are mailing lists.

If you're interested, Eric, I have some experience with Mailman (though
not with Listserv) and would be happy if I can -- I have some scripts to
do bulk operations (add or remove subscribers, etc.) and could also help
to migrate the list archive.

Paul.

--
Paul Hoffman <[log in to unmask]>