Cool work, Carl!

We're using a somewhat inductive approach to VR support, first gathering information about campus needs.

Along with our distance education unit, we have piloted a community of interest on campus around VR. Right now this is taking the form of a Google Plus Community and face-to-face, interdisciplinary meetups. Data collected through discussion is helping us determine our direction, including whether or not there is a justifiable need for shared VR infrastructure on campus.

If you have a tech lending program, you could dive right in and start lending devices. We have/have had AR/VR devices in our Tech Lending Beta Program (http://www.lib.ncsu.edu/techlending/techlending-beta-program). A reservation form allows us to capture information from users (e.g., their department) and their intended uses.

If you are at a big research school, you may have a searchable database of funded research projects. We've used our sponsored research portal to search for projects that have "virtual reality" and similar terms in their titles. This helped us identify faculty to target for the interest group and what kinds of devices faculty are interested in.

Thanks,
Mike

Mike Nutt
Director of Visualization Services
Digital Library Initiatives
NCSU Libraries
919.513.0651
Join the Code+Art community

Exchanges with me at this address can be disclosed to third parties.