On Mon, Mar 28, 2016 at 02:01:42PM +0000, Jiao, Dazhi wrote:
> At IU we are running our OPAC using Blacklight. From time to time
> there are some catalog errors that would cause errors in our custom
> code to extract fields from the MARC records. For example, sometimes a
> subfield may unexpectedly appear in a field, or an expected subfield
> is accidentally named to another subfield.
>
> While we can catch these errors in our code, we’d also like to be able
> to discover them and notify the catalogers before the records are
> exposed in the discover layer. I wonder if anyone here has experiences
> with some MARC validation tool for this purpose?

Are you talking about low-level structural problems, like the record
length field (Ldr/00-05) not matching the actual record length?  Or
high-level errors, like a 245 field without a subfield $a or an invalid
country code?

If it's the latter, Bryan Baldus wrote a Perl module (MARC::Lint) that
looks pretty comprehensive:

https://metacpan.org/release/MARC-Lint

It includes a script (marclint) that you can use directly from the
command line.

If it's the former, I've attached a Perl script I wrote (marcdiag) that
catches most low-level errors.  It only has one dependency --
Getopt::Long, which is pretty standard but not part of a core Perl
installation.

Paul.

--
Paul Hoffman <[log in to unmask]>