I feel compelled to pipe up about the comment "Very sad that a librarian didn't know what it was."

Librarians come in all flavors and varieties. Until I worked in a medical library, I had no idea what a systematic review was. I had no idea there was a variety of librarian called "clinical librarian."

Do you know the hot new interest for law libraries? Medical libraries? Science libraries?

The IoT is a specific area of interest. Just like every other special interest out there.

Is it really justified to expect all librarians of all flavors and varieties to know this very tech-ish thing called IoT?

Lesli