Thanks, Stuart.  Here's some clarification:

(a) is this primarily an internal-facing system or for broadcasting your
content to the world?

Internal, primarily, though we need to be able to send our public data to OSTI via an XML feed

(b) are you expecting users to search and find content on the IR, or are
you using a discovery service for that kind of thing?

Via the IR.

(c) is content going to be deposited manually into the IR or fed from some
other system(s)?

Manual deposit, though we'd like to also make use of APIs (ORCiD, Web of Science, etc.)

(d) are you looking to do everything yourself on site? everything yourself
in the cloud? cloud hosted externally managed? or locally installed
externally managed?

It will depend on how secure we can make the system (and I'm not a security expert, so that's about as specific as I can be).
Some things will be in the repository that we will want to remain restricted from public view/search.

(e) what kind of authentication system are you looking to connect to, if
any? (LDAP, Shibboleth federation, SAML, etc)

Depends on the above, I imagine.

(f) what mix of content do you have? PDFs and word docs? Large scientific
datasets? 4K video streams? ...

PDFs and Word docs, mostly, but with some conference posters/presentations/photos mixed in

(g) does 'publish to the web and push to archive.org' meet your archiving
needs or do you have more stringent requirements?

We are only required to maintain a records system, but I'd like to advocate for long-term preservation as well.

(h) do you need authority control?

Yes

Others have shared some useful experiences, but I think you need to be
clearer about what you're looking for.

[...]

cheers
stuart