+1!

-----Original Message-----
From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Eric Lease Morgan
Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2016 6:55 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] reearch project about feeling stupid in professional communication

In my humble opinion, what we have here is a failure to communicate. [1]

Libraries, especially larger libraries, are increasingly made up of many different departments, including but not limited to departments such as: cataloging, public services, collections, preservation, archives, and now-a-days departments of computer staff. From my point of view, these various departments fail to see the similarities between themselves, and instead focus on their differences. This focus on the differences is amplified by the use of dissimilar vocabularies and subdiscipline-specific jargon. This use of dissimilar vocabularies causes a communications gap and left unresolved ultimately creates animosity between groups. I believe this is especially true between the more traditional library departments and the computer staff. This communications gap is an impediment to when it comes to achieving the goals of librarianship, and any library — whether it be big or small — needs to address these issues lest it wastes both its time and money.

For example, the definitions of things like MARC, databases & indexes, collections, and services are not shared across (especially larger) library departments.

What is the solution to these problems? In my opinion, there are many possibilities, but the solution ultimately rests with individuals willing to take the time to learn from their co-workers. It rests in the ability to respect — not merely tolerate — another point of view. It requires time, listening, discussion, reflection, and repetition. It requires getting to know other people on a personal level. It requires learning what others like and dislike. It requires comparing & contrasting points of view. It demands “walking a mile in the other person’s shoes”, and can be accomplished by things such as the physical intermingling of departments, cross-training, and simply by going to coffee on a regular basis.

Again, all of us working in libraries have more similarities than differences. Learn to appreciate the similarities, and the differences will become insignificant. The consequence will be a more holistic set of library collections and services.

[1] I have elaborated on these ideas in a blog posting - http://bit.ly/1LDpXkc

—
Eric Lease Morgan