From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ian Walls
Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2016 12:38 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] personalization of academic library websites

Mark,

Oddly enough, we're looking at this kind of thing right now.  I also just got a message from my ILL Librarian that she saw a great conference presentation on this kinda thing by Scott Bertagnole of Brigham Young University.

 From our perspective, the trick is authentication.  We want to at least use Common Credentials with our University authentication system, rather than Yet Another Account to Remember (YAAR!), if not Single Sign-on, but we also need to support the other 4 colleges in our consortium, as well as community borrowers. Getting course data about students is also tricky, since we need to collaborate with other units on campus to get permission to sanely and securely access this data from the registrar.

I'm envisioning three levels of integration:

1. Catalog + ILL to see what materials you have 2. Course reserves and supporting materials 3. Miscellaneous/experimental integrations with other services

Hope this is useful; I'd love to keep this conversation going, whether on list or off.

Cheers,

-Ian