I am doing some discovery for a DH project that, at its center, needs to annotate digital video (locally produced videos that will be hosted and streamed on the web in our local environment).  We are still gathering requirements, but it needs to:

  *   have a user friendly interface for creating annotations, better on the web but not an absolute requirement
  *   create annotations at specific timestamps, or across spans of time, and have those annotations associated with regions of the video image.
  *   annotations could include, text, audio, video, image, URL, etc.

We’d prefer open source solutions that can be integrated into a web app, but aren’t fully closed to alternatives.  We’d strongly prefer a solution that supports open standards for annotation or is at least capable of supporting open standards.

I know there are many, many video annotation projects.  What is the current state of the art in web-based video annotation making and viewing?

Many thanks,

Stu