Dear Code4Lib community,

The SAA Students and New Archives Professionals Roundtable will be holding
a #snaprt Twitter chat on the topic of collaboration between archivists and
technologists on Tuesday, March 15, from 8-9 PM ET. We would like to invite
you to participate in the chat or read the transcript on Storify
afterwards. It would be very useful for LIS students and new archives
professionals to hear any perspectives you have to offer. Please see the
announcement below for further details and feel free to contact me at
[log in to unmask] or @SNAP_Roundtable
<https://twitter.com/SNAP_Roundtable> on Twitter with any questions or
suggestions regarding the chat.

Thank you,

Ariadne

SNAP Roundtable Senior Social Media Coordinator

--

Please join the SAA Students and New Archives Professionals (SNAP)
Roundtable
<http://www2.archivists.org/groups/students-and-new-archives-professionals-snap-roundtable>
for a #snaprt <https://twitter.com/hashtag/snaprt> Twitter chat about
collaboration between archivists and technologists on Tuesday, March 15,
from 8-9 PM ET. Our chat is inspired by the Code4Lib 2016 Conference
<http://2016.code4lib.org/> in Philadelphia this week. For archivists, the
conference is an exciting opportunity to learn about current tools and
projects that are free to use and open for further development, discuss
needs for tools they see in the archives field, gain a deeper understanding
of technology work, and discuss larger cultural and technical issues within
libraries and archives. This Twitter chat will allow students and new
archivists to increase their understanding of the types of tools they may
use and their ability to work effectively with colleagues who may create,
maintain, and improve them.

We welcome everyone to join or keep up with our chat using the #snaprt
<https://twitter.com/hashtag/snaprt> hashtag on Twitter. @SNAP_Roundtable
<https://twitter.com/SNAP_Roundtable>, will pose questions such as:

   -

   How do the expertise and knowledge of archivists and technologists who
   work together often overlap or differ? How much is important to understand
   of one another’s work? What are some ways to increase this knowledge?
   -

   What are some examples of technologies that archives currently use? What
   is their goal/ what are they used to do?
   -

   Who created and maintains these tools? Why might an archive choose one
   tool over another?
   -

   What kinds of tools and tech skills have new archivists learned
   post-LIS? What is this learning process like?
   -

   What are some examples of tasks or projects in an archival setting where
   the expertise of technologists is essential or extremely helpful? Please
   share any tips from these experiences.

Many of these questions were inspired by discussions in the Code4Archives
preconference workshop <http://2016.code4lib.org/workshops/Code4Arc>
breakout group, “Whose job is that? Sharing how your team breaks down
archives 'tech' work” Many thanks to the organizers and participants for
sharing their perspectives!

If you would like to have a discussion question included in this chat,
please send it to @SNAP_Roundtable <http://twitter.com/snap_roundtable> on
Twitter, submit it through the anonymous form on the SNAP RT chat webpage
<https://snaproundtable.wordpress.com/snap-rt-twitter-chat/> or email it to
the SNAP RT Senior Social Media Coordinator at [log in to unmask]
Please see the SNAP RT chat webpage for more information about #snaprt
Twitter chats.

Here some resources related to the chat you may want to check out. Please
share others using #snaprt on Twitter.

   -

   Code4Archives pre-conference workshop community notes:
   http://bit.ly/1R8RL1R

   -

   Practical Technology for Archives journal:
   http://practicaltechnologyforarchives.org/

   -

   Allison Jai O’Dell and Steven Duckworth, “The Fancy Finding Aid:
   Makeover your Collections with HTML5, Responsive Design, RDFa, Circulation
   Management, and Visual Content”
   <http://2016.code4lib.org/The-Fancy-Finding-Aid-Makeover-your-Collections-with-HTML5-Responsive-Design-RDFa-Circulation-Management-and-Visual-Content>

Demo: http://www.allisonjai.com/hurston/swipebox.html
Journal article: http://practicaltechnologyforarchives.org/issue5_odell/

   -

   Matt Carruthers, “Making new discoveries from old data: Utilizing
   digital scholarship to foster new research in Special Collections”
   <http://2016.code4lib.org/Making-new-discoveries-from-old-data-Utilizing-digital-scholarship-to-foster-new-research-in-Special-Collections>

Slides: http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mcarruth/Matt_Carruthers_Code4Lib.pdf

   -

   Greg Wiedeman, Archives Network Transfer System tool:
   http://library.albany.edu/archive/UniversityArchives/ANTS

   -

   ArchivesSpace: http://www.archivesspace.org/overview

   -

   Archivematica: https://www.archivematica.org/

   -

   Sean Aery, “From Duel to Duet” (Finding Aid navigation improvements)

Slides: is.gd/c4l16aery <https://t.co/XGJTwhpYiW>
Blog post:
http://blogs.library.duke.edu/bitstreams/2016/02/24/perplexed-by-context-slick-sticky-titles-skip-the-toll-of-the-scroll/

   -

   Mike Shallcross, “ArchivesSpace-Archivematica-DSpace Workflow
   Integration”
   <http://2016.code4lib.org/ArchivesSpaceArchivematicaDSpace-Workflow-Integration>

   -

   Edward M. Corrado, “Issues to consider before pushing out an Open Source
   Project”
   <http://2016.code4lib.org/Issues-to-consider-before-pushing-out-an-Open-Source-Project>

Google Doc: bit.ly/BeforeOSS