I am almost always looking for a known website to find some lost piece of
information, so I'll be interested in how a topic search interface would
actually work.

Of no utility to your question, but fun: the wayback_exe project, where a
bot runs against the Wayback Machine API and makes a screen grab of a
vintage website which it then frames inside the context of a vintage
browser. It's really quite a fascinating look back in time. The bot posts
results to Twitter every couple of hours. I'm unclear how the target pages
are seeded.

https://twitter.com/wayback_exe