If you're talking about a URL of the form:

example.com/form?title=foo&author=bar

...which then loads a form with "foo" placed in the "title" field and "bar"
placed in the "author" field, then yes - this is something that's
relatively easy to do depending on how you're building the form. Your
programming language of choice should be able to parse the querystring for
fields and their associated values. The same language can then define field
values based on those parsed values. It is then up to the user to make any
necessary adjustments, and hit the submit button on the form.

Or is your question more about a system that would take a URL of the form:

example.com/form?handle=1721.1/90974
or
example.com/form?issn=1234-5678

and then look up that identifier and fill the form with details such as
author, etc? In that case, then yes - it would depend on the qualify of the
APIs to which you have access. I've never worked with any, but provided
they exist (and that you have access), then what you describe is definitely
possible.

Do either of these describe what you're thinking of? Or did I completely
miss the mark?

Thanks,
Matt Bernhardt
MIT Libraries