Hi Teague,

It sounds like you want to query an API given some kind of handle (e.g.,
DOI) or perhaps a URL to the paper itself?

For the former instance, we use the CrossRef API if the submitter knows the
DOI of the related journal article. Though in terms of sending it just a
URL to the paper, I don't know if it or other API services can handle that.
CrossRef returns Title, Authors, and a citation.

As others have suggested, there are other APIs you might use, depending on
your needs. MIT provides a handy list of other scholarly publication APIs
you might connect to: http://libguides.mit.edu/apis

Hope that's helpful,

drew