Vagrant is not a good idea for production. It's really for people to work
against a copy of the production environment.
Like you can use Vagrant, then update a ansible or puppet or chef script
then deploy that to yr VM.
Hashicorp is making something called Otto which is supposed to replace
Vagrant for end-to-end deployments like this, but that's in alpha now.

Vagrant isn't  like virtualenv at all. Virtualenv is a way to maintain
Python dependencies by mucking around with some environment variables. It's
more like Ruby's bundler.

It's kinda more like Docker. Docker makes linux containers. Nobody knows
what those are, but they work great.

I've seen Vagrant used in production and it supposedly worked well but the
guy who set it up left and things went bad. It wasn't a performance issue,
it's just really hard for the replacement to figure out what's going on.
Use Vagrant with Ansible/Puppet/Chef. Or use Docker. Or use all of that,
for the win.