I agree with Stephen McDonald on where LCSH and LCGFT are headed, but we're
not there yet. Currently LC's Subject Headings Manual (H1775) still
instructs us to add genre/form terms as LCSH headings when cataloging
collections of works in a given genre.  The LCSH terms used to indicate the
genre/form of a resource are more limited in application than LCGFT since
they're assigned only to collections and in limited instances to single
works, and more varied in form than LCGFT since they can include adjectives
for nationality and time period. It's also correct to add LCGFT terms, but
we're not yet instructed to omit LCSH terms in the cases where they've been
used in the past

The traditional limits on applying LCSH terms to indicate genre/form make
them a problematic source for this sort of information, as does the
relative newness of LCGFT terms.  GSAFD terms (Guidelines for Subject
Access to Fiction, Drama, Poetry, etc.) might be another source of
controlled vocabulary discoverable on older records.

Stephen

--
Stephen Hearn, Metadata Strategist
University of Minnesota