We use MySQL and now mostly Maria. While I agree that PostgeSQL might be
technically advantageous in some ways, its ubiquity and the easy
availability of many free and paid support options make it a great choice.

That said, I think you should examine and explore the possibilities offered
by Solr or Elastisearch. Those would likely by my tools of choice for your
scenario.

Of course, I would probably wrap this in Drupal either way ;)

Cary

--
Cary Gordon
The Cherry Hill Company