Hi Matt,

You may wish to give a try to J-ISIS

https://kenai.com/projects/j-isis/downloads

With J-ISIS, you can create a searchable database with a couple of clicks.
It uses Berkeley Database as persistence manager and Lucene for indexing
and searching.
The user can concentrate on the domain and to what he want to achieve. No
need to be an expert in relational dabases and SQL. Furthermore, you get
suggestions of term indexed when making a particular query.

Web-JISIS is a web application prototype that allows to browse and search
J-ISIS databases.

I can help if you need.

Best wishes,

Jean-Claude