Since you mention the requirement to publish and maintain it on the web,
another (NoSQL) option for your data storage would be a SPARQL graph store
(such as Apache Fuseki). Loading the data would involve transforming each
citation into an RDF graph and storing it as a named graph with an HTTP
PUT, or transforming each volume to a SPARQL update query to insert your
1250 graphs in one query. Maintenance of data can be achieved simply with
GET and PUT to read and write individual graphs (records) which is dead
easy to connect to an HTML form, and you can use the SPARQL query language
for all your search needs. Because the SPARQL family of protocols are
already web protocols it can be a very simple architecture. It would also
be trivially easy to publish the RDF as linked data by installing Pubby or
similar in front of the SPARQL query service.

Of course it may be that the RDF skillset is a step too far (it's not as
widely known as RDBMS), but if you do have someone in your team with basic
RDF skills it's worth considering as it could be a very simple solution if
so.