Software Development & Infrastructure Manager
Europeana
Netherlands

Job title: Software Development and Infrastructure Manager

Location: The Hague, The Netherlands

Closing date: 21 May,, 2016

**About Europeana**
Across Europe, museums, libraries and archives are digitizing their
collections. A non-profit foundation, Europeana brings them together online
and works hard to make sure people can find and use them. For work. For
learning. Or just for fun.

We work as part of a network of cultural organizations to provide creative and
innovative forms of access to culture. Our work is guided by creative
collaboration, supportive teamwork and the idea that sharing and re-using
cultural content can transform the world. While we aim to push the boundaries
of using technology to make culture available over the web, our platform must
always remain robust and reliable.

Our office is based in the National Library of the Netherlands in The
Hague. We're within walking distance from Central Station,
The Hague.

Explore Europeana Collections (http://www.europeana.eu/portal/) and Europeana
Labs (http://labs.europeana.eu/)

Find out more about who we are and what we do on Europeana Pro
(http://pro.europeana.eu/)

Follow and chat with us on Facebook
(https://www.facebook.com/Europeana),

Twitter (https://twitter.com/europeanaeu) and

LinkedIn (https://www.linkedin.com/groups/134927/profile).

**The role** - Software Development and Infrastructure Manager
We are looking for a passionate team manager with a special interest in
supporting and coaching our software development and technical operations
teams to adopt best practice processes, tools and infrastructure.

**Your team**
You will manage our Software Development and Infrastructure
Team. It has 10 members of whom 7 are focused on
development and 3 on operations, infrastructure and QA. Most of year team
members have at least a few years of industry experience and in addition
Senior Developers with many years of experience.

The team is responsible for the technical design, development, maintenance and
operations of the Europeana platform, services and applications. It works very
closely with the Product Ownership and Design team in ensuring services and
applications meet business and customer needs. Your team's software developers
spend most of their time as part of the product Scrum teams.

Your team also often works with our R&D team who focus on data modelling and
investigating and advising on new technologies, esp. Linked Data technologies,
search engine development/information retrieval and open standards relevant to
us (IIIF (http://iiif.io/), W3C Open Annotations
(https://www.w3.org/annotation/), etc.).

**Your main responsibilities**
• Continually coach and support your teams, esp. your Senior Developers and
System Engineer, in improving our software development and technical
operations, processes and tools

• Ensure that the infrastructure and operational procedures supporting our
services are well managed and that as a result services are highly available
and performing well for our customers

• Participate in our Scrum of Scrums and support our development Scrum teams
in surfacing dependencies and identifying and removing
bottlenecks

• Scope, monitor and manage the team budget including hosting, consultancy
subcontracts, licenses and travel.

• Recruit new team members, when required

**The experience/knowledge you need**
• Minimum 4-5 years of experience managing technical operations and/or
software development teams

o Experience in setting up and optimising infrastructure, hosting and
development tools (sometimes referred to as "DevOps")

o Experience of the full development lifecycle including requirements
gathering, design, development, testing, release and support (preferably in
Java and/or Ruby)

• Good knowledge of and experience with Lean and Agile processes like Scrum
and Kanban

• Good written and spoken English with an ability to express complex technical
ideas and concepts to both technical and non-technical audiences

• University or college degree in computer science, software engineering or a
related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience

• Experience of Open Source software development is an advantage - Europeana
is an exclusively open source software platform

**The skills you need**
• Ability to lead a team and improve its performance through coaching,
motivation, and openness

• Strong interpersonal skills with an ability to work effectively and
efficiently in a distributed, multinational environment by bridging cultural
gaps

**Salary and benefits**
Depending on your experience and skills, your monthly gross salary will be bet
ween EURO 4,219 - 5,194 (scale 12), in line with the Collective Labor agreement
for Research Institutes.

Furthermore you will have: 42 days holiday per year, a holiday allowance (8%)
and an end year bonus (8.33%).

**How to apply**
Mail us ([log in to unmask]) your cover letter and CV (in English) telling us
why you're interested in this position. Please include your GitHub profile or
any other public evidence of your work.

Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/25284/
To post a new job please visit http://jobs.code4lib.org/