There is at least some new evidence that for at least some users...discovery patterns are moving toward library interfaces after having a steady decline [1].

It seems plausible to me that this shift may correlate to the change in tools and attitudes that has led to integrated discovery layers becoming the norm.

I'm not suggesting that discovery is the end-all be-all, but think that providing helpful discovery to users that is targeted to the resources *they already can access* because of their affiliation(s) is still worthy of a chunk of our time, thought, and effort.  I think the tools are better and that's a good thing.

-t

[1] http://www.sr.ithaka.org/publications/ithaka-sr-us-faculty-survey-2015/#discovery