On Apr 7, 2016, at 4:24 PM, Gregory Markus <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>> from one of the New York Times stories on the Panama Papers: "The
>> ICIJ made a number of powerful research tools available to the
>> consortium that the group had developed for previous leak
>> investigations. Those included a secure, Facebook-type forum
>> where reporters could post the fruits of their research, as well
>> as database search program called “Blacklight” that allowed the
>> teams to hunt for specific names, countries or sources.”
>>
>> http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/06/business/media/how-a-cryptic-message-interested-in-data-led-to-the-panama-papers.html
>
> https://ijnet.org/en/blog/how-icij-pulled-large-scale-cross-border-investigative-collaboration

Based on my VERY quick read of the articles linked above, a group of people created a collaborative system for collecting, indexing, searching, and analyzing data/information. In the end, they facilitated the creation of knowledge. That sure sounds like a library to me. Kudos! I believe our profession has many things to learn from this example, and two of those things include: 1) you need full text content, and 2) controlled vocabularies are not a necessary component of the system. —ELM