If your university used WebEx you can use that for screen recording.  And Camtasia is also a good solution.

Kari Smith

-----Original Message-----
From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jennifer DeJonghe
Sent: Thursday, April 07, 2016 8:33 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [CODE4LIB] Morae setup advice for screen recording

I'm at a small public university and we do regular pop up usability testing, but want to purchase Morae and start doing some screen capturing. Since the license is rather expensive, I'm trying to do as much "sharing" among staff as I can within the bounds of what TechSmith allows and what is practical. I talked to TEchSmith person today, and they allow you to have multiple people using it on a shared computer. Your license gets you one copy of the Morae Manager, and unlimited copies of Recorder and Observer.

My question for those of you who have Morae... Do you think it would be practical or advisable to install the single copy of Manager on a laptop, so that the laptop could be shared between multiple departments in various buildings? You don't use Manager during the actual testing, it is more for set up and analysis, so they said most people install that on their "good" computer. But installing it on a laptop might mean we could get more use from it. Is there anything I should think about before proceeding with this? We don't have a usability lab, so would probably purchase a dedicated shared laptop(s) for this. (I know I could use cheaper software, but I just got back from ER&L and was impressed with what I saw people doing with the TechSmith product.)

Jennifer

Jennifer DeJonghe
Librarian and Professor
Metropolitan State University