Thank you, Alan, for the further explanation. These are, definitely, important distinctions.

I appreciate your support, Code4Lib community!

-----Original Message-----
From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Harnum, Alan
Sent: Friday, April 08, 2016 9:11 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] Islandora & Vagrant - Development use only?

While I can’t comment on the Islandora piece, I’ll make the following comments about Vagrant in the context of how we use it as part of our development and ops process:

- Vagrant is used as described below for “disposable environments and consistent workflow” for testing our automation scripts and tools - we use fairly barebones Vagrantfiles to bring up VMs that match our production environment targets, then provision those with the same Ansible playbook intended to be used in production. This lets us rapidly develop and test our automation before turning it loose on an environment outside our local machines

- production servers are also virtual machines, using KVM on Red Hat; these get provisioned with the same Ansible playbooks developed initially using Vagrant. There’s nothing inherently unsound about the idea of running using virtual machines in production, provided you understand the reasons behind and accept the overhead of doing so (in our case, our production VMs are launched and managed on a large, dedicated cluster intended for virtualization)

- it’s possible the idea is to use Vagrant as a virtual machine management solution in production; I agree with others below that this isn’t an optimal solution, nor I think would Vagrant’s creators (I personally Hashicorp has blurred the lines on this in recent years as they try to extend their business model, which may be where some of this is coming from)

- if the position is that Vagrant is the same class of environment isolation tool as RVM or virtualenv, that’s a misunderstanding; RVM or virtualenv create isolated environments with very little overhead running on the same system, while Vagrant creates virtual machines with all the overhead that entails

ALAN HARNUM
SENIOR INCLUSIVE DEVELOPER
INCLUSIVE DESIGN RESEARCH CENTRE, OCAD UNIVERSITY

E [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>