I think controlled vocabularies can be used to improve text-minning
process, to entities recongnition (persons, institutions and critical
concepts) ... I think thats... but I'm a not neutral about this.... because
I am developer of a controlled vocabularies tool :)

Sorry about my english :/

--
Diego Ferreyra