Hello all,

I thought members of this group might be interested in hearing about a new challenge being run by the National Endowment for the Humanities.  The Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers Data Challenge<https://www.challenge.gov/challenge/chronicling-america-historic-american-newspapers-data-challenge/> will award prizes to projects that demonstrate the best use of the Chronicling America corpus, which contains over 10 million pages of historic U.S. newspapers digitized through NEH's National Digital Newspaper Program and made available by the Library of Congress both on their website and via API<http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/about/api/>.

We are inviting submissions that ask "How can you use open data to explore history?"  NEH encourages contestants to develop a wide variety of submissions, including visualizations, exhibits, web-based tools, and mashups with other datasets.  Submissions are welcome from non-profit organizations, teams, and individuals, including graduate, undergraduate, and K-12 students.

The deadline is June 15, 2016.  The list of prizes may be found here, under "Amount of the Prize."<https://www.challenge.gov/challenge/chronicling-america-historic-american-newspapers-data-challenge/>  You can find more details about eligibility and the judging process here, under the "Rules" tab<https://www.challenge.gov/challenge/chronicling-america-historic-american-newspapers-data-challenge/>.

This is an exciting experiment for NEH, and we're hoping to make the first round a great success. Please let us know if you have any questions!

Best wishes,
Leah

Leah Weinryb Grohsgal, MLIS, PhD
Senior Program Officer
Program Coordinator, National Digital Newspaper Program
National Endowment for the Humanities
Division of Preservation and Access
400 7th Street SW | Washington, DC 20506
[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> | 202.606.8577