Hi CWG,

We’re looking forward to our next NDSA Content Working Group meeting scheduled for tomorrow, April 6 at 11 a.m. ET, when we will hear from two guest speakers: Sara Day Thompson from the Digital Preservation Coalition, who recently published a report on preserving social media, and Jules Bergis from UC Riverside and the Documenting the Now project.  To join the meeting, please go to www.uberconference.com/clir-dlf in your browser, or call 202-750-4186 by phone. No PIN is needed.

Here is a bit of background on our speakers:

A 2014 graduate of Glasgow University’s MSc Information Management and Preservation programme, Sara Day Thomson has been the Project Officer for Research & Practice at the DPC since June 2014, where she has coordinated several research projects. She supported community building and sustainability for the EU-funded project TIMBUS, a project that aimed to align digital continuity solutions with digital preservation. She is currently working on a 15-month study for the ESRC-funded Big Data Network programme that examines the landscape of preserving social media and preserving transactional data for re-use in research and in the commercial sector.

Jules Bergis is the University and Political Papers Archivist at the University of California, Riverside Library, where he manages university archives, political papers, African American history collections, and community archives projects. His previous work with community archives and African American collections projects include the Black Metropolis Research Consortium at the University of Chicago and the D.C. Africana Archives Project at George Washington University. In addition to his community archives work, he is also interested in the new ways social media records can diversify library research collections by countering existing silences to include more voices from traditionally marginalized people. He is a Co-Principal Investigator along with Ed Summers and Chris Freeland on a recently funded social media archiving project from the Andrew Mellon Foundation called "Documenting the Now: Supporting Scholarly Use and Preservation of Social Media Content." Bergis received an M.L.S. with a Specialization in Archives and Records Management and an M.A. in African American and African Diaspora Studies from Indiana University.

We hope you are able to join the meeting and participate in the discussion!  A recording will be made available on the NDSA wiki afterwards if you can’t make it and would like to listen later.

Best,
Christie Moffatt and Abbey Potter, NDSA Content Working Group Co-Chairs

Christie Moffatt
Digital Manuscripts Program
History of Medicine Division
National Library of Medicine

To unsubscribe from the NDSA-CONTENT list, click the following link:
http://lists.clir.org/scripts/wa-CLIR.exe?SUBED1=NDSA-CONTENT&A=1