What are your requirements (granular) and constraints (abstract and/or
granular)?

For example:

   - Define the core need(s) informing the advocacy of the project.
   - Document the desired outcomes in the abstract, and then with as much
   granularity as possible.
   - What class(es) and/or types of documents are you storing?
   - How many files are you looking to store?
   - What is the predicted growth of usage (predicting need for
   scalability)?
   - What level of meta-data faceting are you looking for?
   - What are the use cases for data inclusion?
   - What are the use cases for service consumption?
   - Identify current statutes and local policies which may guide and/or
   restrict certain models of implementation and/or use.
   - What is the breadth of skills directly available to support this
   project?
   - What is the depth of skills (how many people with each skill)?
   - What is the implementation budget?
   - What is the long term maintenance budget?
   - Are there opportunities for collaboration and/or partnerships (eg
   neighboring libraries with a similar need or better, a similar project
   already in the works?

These, and other req-cons can help you to better understand what type of
investment should be considered for your project.  It can certainly be less
feasible for smaller institutions, with less staff, and less wiggle room in
budgets to fit a product to the needs.  However, going through the process
may help you to determine if it feels more like you're trying to cram your
needs into a specific product.  Forcing a product onto a project in which
it just doesn't fit will often lead to predictable failures and resource
waste.  There may be a realistic possibility that your institution simply
doesn't have the means to achieve its core need in this.

Detailing your needs, requirements, desires, and constraints though can
definitely help you refine the search for solutions, and navigate them with
more clarity.  It may help you and your colleagues to reinforce the Drupal
path, or it may help you craft buy-in for a product/service initially
considered "off the table" if it can be demonstrated that that product or
service has been successfully implemented by other institutions with very
similar needs.

Success is oft found in the meta ... Good luck!

Joshua Klingbeil - IT Director
Wisconsin Valley Library Service

*I have learned that when I am able to empty my mind of *
*                                preconception, predisposition, and
prejudice... *
                 *... what remains is possibility!*

*It's easy to answer "No! And here's why not..."
  It's empowering to answer "Yes! Now let's figure out how..."*

--

<http://facebook.wvls.org>  <http://twitter.wvls.org>