I guess I'm a little confused about what you want to do - and the key
question to me is "where are you storing your documents?" Biblio is a great
tool (haven't used it though) for storing bib records and searching on them
- documents that have DOIs that point elsewhere. That's as far as my
understanding goes though, you through your experience with it might know
what else it can do.

To build on Cary's advice, creating an interface to browse/search a
relatively small collection in Drupal is done regularly and is what Drupal
is meant for (custom content types is one of Drupal's main features). So,
if you want to build a Drupal site as both a document store and a place to
search, you could create content types and leverage the excellent Solr
integrations <https://www.drupal.org/project/search_api_solr> that make
adding a Solr search fairly trivial for a technologist. I'm not sure where
the scale reaches its limit but with small collections of a few thousand
items it is very performant as I've worked with it. Hope this helps. Would
love to see what you have created in Drupal if you're willing to share.