User Interface Developer - University of Minnesota Libraries
University of Minnesota
Minneapolis

For more details and to apply: http://z.umn.edu/ulib359

The University of Minnesota Libraries is seeking a user interface developer to
join our Web Development team, to help us in our goal to produce one of the
fastest [1], most usable, and most useful academic library websites in the
country [2].

Our portfolio includes two large Drupal sites, homegrown PHP, Ruby, and
Node.js applications, themes for third-party applications like DSpace and
ILLiad, and more. Our current front-end stack is based on Bootstrap, and we
use a static site generator to build themes and components for consistency
across our varied sites and applications. This project would be yours to
manage, evolve, or replace according to your vision for best practices in
front-end development.

The University Libraries runs in-house usability tests monthly [3], and you
would join our Usability Testing Team to help ensure that our user interfaces
are demonstrably usable.

We are eager to measure the performance of our sites and applications, both in
baseline speed and in user interactions. You would be responsible for ensuring
that our sites are optimized for speed over the wire and that user events are
tracked in a way that enables us to understand user behavior while respecting
user privacy.

The University of Minnesota Libraries are located in Minneapolis, where you'll
find some of the nation's best parks, lakes, cycling, public schools, and arts
and cultural institutions. Also there is weather.

The Libraries offer a compensation package for developers that is competitive
with industry [4], including a generous retirement plan [5] and 75% payment of
tuition for University courses [6].

The tens of thousands of users of our sites and applications come from
incredibly diverse backgrounds. Among the many ways we aspire to serve our
users is by building an organization that reflects the diversity of our user
base. To this end, we particularly encourage women, people of color, people
who identify as gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transgender, and others who
identify with groups that are under-represented in IT to apply.

For more details and to apply: http://z.umn.edu/ulib359

Questions? Feel free to contact us:

Cody Hanson - Director, Web Development

@codyh (Twitter, Code4Lib Slack)

Michael Berkowski - Web Applications Developer

mberkowski (Code4Lib IRC)

Jen Tantzen - Web Applications Developer

@lastfinalgirl (Twitter)

Gabe Ormsby - Web Applications Developer

@gormsby (Twitter)

[1]: http://www.speedleaderboard.com

[2]: https://www.lib.umn.edu

[3]: http://digitalcommons.macalester.edu/libtech_conf/2016/sessions/11/

[4]: http://humanresources.umn.edu/sites/humanresources.umn.edu/files/sup072-1
3_it_individual_contributors_classification_and_salary_structure.pdf

[5]: http://humanresources.umn.edu/employee-benefits/retirement

[6]: http://humanresources.umn.edu/benefits/tuition-benefits

Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/26081/
To post a new job please visit http://jobs.code4lib.org/