You can build a peachy document repository in Drupal. This will work fine if you have a small collection, say less than 10k items.

The issue is that it won’t scale. As a Drupal fanboy, I would love to see an all Drupal solution work, but, at least at this point, it doesn't.

We work with Islandora, which puts a Drupal front-end on Fedora. OOTB, Islandora is weighted towards the Fedora side, but the community has been working to move the balance to do more in Drupal. This will be easier once Islandora completes its move to Fedora 4.

FWIW, we offer Islandora in a hosted and fully supported service package that we call LibraryDAMS.

Thanks,

Cary