**Apologies for cross-postings**

Please join us for the ALCTS/LITA MARC Format Transition Interest Group meeting at ALA Annual on Saturday, June 25th, 2016, at 3:00-4:00pm. Our program will begin with a short business meeting and introduction of our new incoming Chair, followed by two presentations.

1) "RDA: alive, well, and still speaking MARC"; Diane Hillmann

Resource Description and Access (RDA) has been around long enough that it sometimes seems old hat. In fact, it is still sometimes described in terms of 'cataloging rules' as if its early history as an outgrowth of AACR2 defines its scope and reach in the present.  In fact, RDA has  matured into a very modern, international metadata standard, including a rich and expressive structural vocabulary based on FRBR.

It's sometimes noted that catalogers still 'speak' with MARC numeric codes, reminding us how much the MARC Standard has informed our thinking. More than that is the continuing concern about our legacy data, and the recognition that MARC output will be required for many smaller and special libraries well into the future.

Much of our current experience with 'native' RDA as a cataloging format has been in the context of RIMMF (RDA in Many Metadata Formats) which has been used for the many 'Jane-athons' scheduled for the last 18 months. RIMMF easily and completely maps legacy MARC data into FRBR-based RDA, and can also output MARC and other formats after creation or editing within RIMMF.

RDA is rapidly becoming the standard of choice outside of the US, as the Toolkit instructions and the RDA Registry become available in a multitude of languages. In this program, Diane Hillmann, a member of the RDA Development Team, provides an update on RDA progress, with special emphasis on its ability to serve as a lossless transition from MARC.

Diane Hillmann is a partner in the consulting group of Metadata Management Associates LLC, a former cataloger and manager of MARC data at Cornell University. She has been working with the RDA standard since 2007, when the (then) Joint Steering Committee for the Development of RDA collaborated with the Dublin Core Metadata Initiative to develop the vocabulary to express RDA.

2) "Libhub at Multnomah County Library"; Erica Findley

Come hear about how Multnomah County Library is telling their story to search engines through the use of linked data. Learn how they were able to convert their bibliographic data and make it accessible to search engines to serve up in results pages. This program will include an update from Multnomah County Library about the conversion of their data through the LibHub Initiative and the impact of doing that on their patrons.

Erica Findley is a passionate library supporter and is influential in the broader library advocacy ecosystem. Ms.Findley is the Cataloging/Metadata Librarian at Multnomah County Library (OR) and is a 2008 MLS graduate from Emporia State University.  She is an active member of the American Library Association where she is an at-large councilor and serves on the ALCTS Leadership Development Committee. Ms. Findley is a co-convener of the ALA Think Tank and regularly hosts “pop-up libraries” when traveling by train or plane.  Ms. Findley can be found online at www.ericafindley.com

We hope to see you there!

Best,
Carolyn & Victoria

Carolyn Hansen
Metadata Librarian
University of Cincinnati Libraries

Victoria Mueller
Senior Information Architect & Systems Librarian
Zepheira