I kind of agree with Shaun's point: why on earth would some organization
want to assume this?

In the interest of not limiting ourselves to one solution to this problem,
I'll throw another possibility that I haven't seen raised (and definitely
has downsides, but they all do):  what if we to set aside the
organizational aspects of the annual conference and try to find an existing
conference that Code4Lib could be a track or sub-conference or whatever
within?  I'm not suggesting these conferences, per se, but using them for
analogy: what would the downside of existing *within* ALA or CIL or an
established conference be?  Are there advantages?  Are there conferences
that would be particularly good fits?  Would we just be pushing our current
headaches into other compartments?

I guess for me, I'm not so hell-bent on the annual conference being it's
own exclusive event as much as being able to have it at all.

-Ross.