On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 9:05 AM, Miles Fidelman <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> I'm rather surprised that nobody has suggested contacting:
> - the American Library Association (particularly the LITA division)
> - the Internet Archive
>
> Or... the Tides Foundation (tides.org in San Francisco) has been known to
> act as fiscal agent and "umbrella" for small non-profit projects/groups.
>
> Or... maybe even the Apache Software Foundation or FSF.

Even if another organization is willing to serve in this capacity, it is
essential to understand exactly what that means. How independent would c4l
be under the arrangement? Would the relationship alter the nature of c4l
itself?

For example, if LITA steps up, would people need to be LITA members to
attend events? Even if they don't have to be, would there be a shift in
participation? How much say would LITA have over format, policies, etc?

One of the challenges of fundraising for c4l meetings is a lot of people
and companies (understandably) want to earmark their donation regardless
what is actually needed. Presumably anyone willing to take on to take on
much greater financial and administrative headaches will attach some
strings.

There are real advantages to working with other organizations, but there
are downsides as well.

kyle