Jeff,
Here at UC Irvine Libraries in California, we are using a free software package called Program-O (http://www.program-o.com/).  One of our research librarians works with one of our programmer/analysts to install, develop, customize and maintain our chatbot (http://www.lib.uci.edu/antswers).  You can find more information about our efforts here on our eScholarship page (http://escholarship.org/uc/uci_libs_antswers), where you'll also find contact information if you have any additional questions about our implementation.
--
Mark Vega
Programmer/Analyst