Here's some information from Jonathan at UCLA. He didn't want to post to
the list himself (I'll have to work on that), but will be happy to talk
to you if you want more info.
--Gary

We also use Deep Freeze on our laptops. We lend iPads as well, but no other models. There is no Deep Freeze equivalent for iOS.

It*was*  possible to set up a computer running Apple Configurator to automatically erase and re-configure an iPad when it was plugged in, but that feature is basically deprecated and is not possible with Configurator v2, which is now the only version Apple offers. So, a non-starter in my opinion.

I do use Configurator to supervise the lending iPads, which allows you to install a configuration profile that locks down many aspects of the OS, such as signing into services (eg iCloud) or installing/deleting any of the apps. Once the iPad is in supervised-mode, there's a wealth of restrictions you can set. We typically erase and re-configure every quarter, and multiple people share the iPads during the quarter without it being a problem.

We also have some iPads set up as informational or lookup kiosks that are locked into single-app mode. All content is presented through an app called Kiosk Pro, and it's not possible to exit out of it, even if you power off the iPad. If you wanted to restrict access to web browsing, this could be an option.

Hope that helps!