I agree that securing a permanent fiscal agent is the only way to sustain the annual conference at the current level, but I think there are ways to make a less formal commitment.  What I don’t understand is what any fiduciary agent gets out of such a deal.  There is significant risk and overhead for anyone to take this on.  What is the reward?

Overhead
It’s not just about fronting money and signing contracts.  There is people power involved too.  For 2016, I reviewed every contract and agreement that came through because my hide was on the line if we screwed up.  It’s not hard to miss something in the fine print, or to find estimates and invoices that don’t add up.  Furthermore, there were people in our finance department who had to do extra work to set up the account, cut checks, double-check contracts, communicate with vendors, etc.

Risk
While we have not yet gone "into the red" on an annual Code4Lib conference (knock on wood), it is certainly possible unless there is a degree of vigilance on the part of the organizers.  Because you have different organizers each year there can be large fluctuations when it comes to fundraising/sponsorship effort and experience.  The same goes for researching, negotiating, and comparing vendor and venue prices.  We do pass on documentation as best we can, but the process is rarely cookie cutter.

Reward
Is the reward simply “thanks” and a pat on the back?  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  (For what it’s worth, I could see a high-visibility sponsor spot given to this org since it's a form of in-kind donated resources.)

Even if Code4Lib were to form a non-profit to strictly handle the annual conf, someone’s hide needs to be on the line to make sure there’s proper oversight of funds, budgets are properly formed and adhered to, contracts are not putting the org at risk, and so on.  To me, that sounds like a dedicated employee of the non-profit.

-Shaun