Eric, I agree that I wouldn't want to have an organization that existed to
govern all things Code4lib - but I don't think that's what's on the table
here. What I'm hearing is a call for a persistent entity that can do things
like sign contracts and hold funds from year to year, pursuant to planning
a conference. The governing documents of that entity could *and should* be
quite narrowly construed to avoid giving that entity powers of community
governance or policy statement.

Would such an entity inevitably have its own insiders and outsiders?
Yes...but that is hardly different from the status quo, which very much has
insiders and outsiders; they are simply not conveniently labeled, which
means they can be hard to identify (for insiders as much as for outsiders).
If you haven't read "The Tyranny of Structurelessness" yet, I commend it to
you.

That said, I am quite fond of the merrily anarchic nature of this library
collective, and I would want to see the devils in the details of governing
docs before I made up my mind. And I find I have a sense of humor about how
awful it apparently is for things to have presidents.

--
Andromeda Yelton
Board of Directors/Vice-President Elect, Library & Information Technology