On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 6:40 AM, Eric Lease Morgan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hosting a local/regional meeting is not difficult and relatively
> inexpensive.

While I find the intent to make code4lib more "distributed" through
localized meetings, I find this statement incredibly belittling and
disingenuous. There are a number folks in the community who have organized
local, regional, national and international conferences. Some of the things
that you claim are important, and perhaps easy (space, "strong wifi", etc.)
can be quite difficult to obtain, even for small groups.

Let’s forgo identifying a fiduciary for a while. What will they facilitate?
> The funding of a large meeting space in a “fancy” hotel? Is that really
> necessary when the same communication & sharing can be done on a smaller,
> lesser expensive, and more intimate scale? DIY.

Any of this organizing activity is a form of labor, and it's no wonder why
people get exhausted and sometimes burnt out by organizing conferences. I'm
all for DIY, but DIY is still labor and requires time, capital, and
emotional energy.

So yes, let's provide more opportunities for people to get together at a
local level, but let's be honest about what it takes.

Mark

--
Mark A. Matienzo <[log in to unmask]> | http://anarchivi.st/