One note about what we're discussing: when we talk about just doing the
regional events (and I mean beyond 2017, which will be a special case if a
host city can't step in), we need to realize that we have a lot of members
who aren't in a Code4Lib region.

You might think I'm talking about Alaska, because that's where I lived when
I first came to a Code4Lib conference. And that's certainly one place,
along with Hawaii, that would be left out.

But even living in Pittsburgh, I'm not in a Code4Lib region, that I can
tell. Pittsburgh isn't in the midwest, and we also aren't part of the
tri-state region that Philly's in. I'm employed (part-time/remote) in the
DC/MD region, so if I can afford the drive and hotel, that's probably the
one I'd pick right now. I guess?

So, even landlocked in the continental US, it's possible not to have a
region.

More importantly, though: my understanding is that our international
members are fairly spread out -- maybe Code4Lib Japan being an exception?
-- so, even ignoring weird cases like Pittsburgh, we stand to lose some
really fantastic contributors to our community if we drop to regional-only.

Just something else to consider.
- Coral